Many house fires are caused directly or indirectly by faulty electrical wiring throughout the structure. There are multiple causes of electric home fires and each has the potential for a loss of thousands to millions of dollars worth of property. It’s important for you to ensure that your home’s wiring is properly maintained to avert such tragedies and damages. Whether it’s a blown fuse or an air conditioning unit that isn’t working as it should, it’s imperative that you don’t try to fix the issue on your own but call a electrician Melbourne CBD.
An electrical system will usually signal when there are potential issues. If you notice any of these warning signs, it may be time to call a electrician to order an inspection.
- Frequent fuse blows.
- An over-fused panel.
- Flickering lights indicate an overloaded or loosely connected circuit.
- Hot switch plates, cords or plugs.
- Light bulbs that frequently burn out in a socket.
- Buzzing/sizzling sounds.
- A burning smell.
- Sparks from an outlet when you plug or unplug a cord.
- Electrical shock when you touch a cord.
Even if you don’t recognize any warning signs, it’s certainly a good idea to have your electrical system inspected periodically. Electrical regulations vary depending on where you live, but there are common circumstances that warrant an inspection from a certified professional such as the following:
- If your home is older than 40 years
- If you’re relying on extension cords for power
- If you’ve made major home improvements or added major new appliances that could strain your existing system
- If your home has ungrounded, two-prong outlets
- If your home has aluminum instead of copper wiring
- Protect against an electrical fire by keeping an eye out for signs of hazardous wiring and having your electrical system inspected by an expert.
Insurance policies don’t usually cover the repair costs to fix problems that could be related to shoddy work. In addition, your policy might not cover losses or damage that result from the faulty wiring. Even if you would normally be covered for something under your policy, you may not recover anything on your claim due to the possible attribution of the damage to faulty workmanship.
Make sure your home is protected with the best homeowners insurance in Saint John and its surrounding regions. Contact Fundy Mutual today for an insurance quote online.